Friday, April 3, 2009

Surgical Seamstress

Being almost 9 months post-partum, and finished with rotations that require me to enter the OR, I am slowly rediscovering my business-casual work wardrobe. Today I pulled out a silky V-neck top with a red, gold, and black print which I excitedly pulled on and pranced out of the house wearing. As the day wore on, I started to remember why this shirt was at the back of the closet. Every few minutes I was glancing nervously down at the V-neck, repositioning it to the center of my chest, and closing it to cover my modest cleave. Hmmm. Now I remember this shirt. I also started remembering my many past ponderings about how to fix the problem and salvage the shirt. Wear a cami? Pin in a piece of fabric under the V? Safety pin the V together? I had never come up with a discrete way to cloister my cleave.

Until today. It hit me: I could just approximate the distal edges of the V with a running subcuticular stitch, invisibly transforming the "V" to a "Y." Why, I knew those 3 surgical months in my intern year must have had some purpose! I came home, perfectly executed the planned procedure, and now have a embarassment-free silky Y-necked blouse to wear to work!

To see a video demonstrating subcuticular stitching, click here. Don't worry, it's not gross.

No comments:

Post a Comment