Monday, May 10, 2010

Can't get enough of this




I am thinking about running a 50k out here in a few weeks. It will be my first ultra and my first trail race. It will kick my butt, but the feeling I get running out here - alone, with the chipmunks & birds, breathing in the forest - that feeling is worth a butt-kicking!

Today, a running mentor asked me what is holding me back in running, what is slowing me down. Without realizing what I was saying, I answered "the courage to work harder." Nothing like throwing oneself under the bus!

It's true; I like being comfortable when I run.  I realized before the conversation even ended that I was about to learn to 'work harder.' Looks like there may be some discomfort and hard work in my near-future. Um, embrace the discomfort? Speed-training, here I come.

Well, butt-kicking trail ultra-marathon, then hard-working speed drills.

1 comment:

  1. Go for it! Is it the Forest Park Trail Run on May 30? Oh how I would LOVE to do that with you! It'll be so fun. My trail running ultra friends tell me there's such a wonderfully different feeling amongst the group of people who do organized trail runs, as opposed to road races. And to spend 4 hours running through beautiful trails would be divine. I look forward to hearing about it!

    ReplyDelete