Sunday, May 2, 2010

Hey Eugene!

The Eugene Marathon was today. Like many races, it started out ominous. Under-trained, recently injured, and with no specific plans other than "Do what feels good," I started the race telling a friend how every long run seems impossible at the start. She knows more about long runs and racing than I, and had wisely chosen to switch to the half marathon at the expo the night before.

I ran with my friend at a nice, easy pace for the first 7 miles, til she needed to walk and we parted ways. After leaving her, I planned to take it easy until my injury acted up and then walk the rest. And cheer on as many other runners as I could. So that's what I did.

At some point I began to notice that I was only cheering on people that I passed. Because no one was passing me. Don't get me wrong; I started with people in my expected pace range - the fast people started and stayed well ahead of me. But pass other runners I did, one after another. As I was still 'taking it easy' I assumed they were just slowing down. Or resting up to pass me when I hit a wall later.

Well, the wall never came and the passing never stopped. I ran all out the last 1.2 miles, and sprinted thru Hayward Field to the finish line. I was even still thinking clearly at the time! Turned out to be a new PR for me! What an exciting & unexpected end to an ominous, seemingly impossible run!

Now to tend to that injury, some nasty blisters, a lost toenail, and really sore legs...

No comments:

Post a Comment