Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Mud Slinger

I am so excited for this weekend! I get to try my first trail run and my first ultra at the same time. Since my decision to run this race, and, well, my knowledge that it even exists, is less than 3 weeks old, I have not done much in the way of specific preparation. I mean, 50k is not much longer than a marathon, right? So what if I do most of my running on the road. Trails are easier, right? Roots, mud, ruts, rocks, scurrying animals, blackberry brambles... it can't be so different from the well-lit, smooth, paved running path I cruise along to commute home...

With the constant rain this week, I gave this trail run a second thought. Hmm. Trail running I'm mentally prepared for; I wonder what muddy trail running is like. Then I started checking out the race website, looking at the course map, the elevation profile, the finisher's times from last year... Basically, I freaked myself out. Seriously, there are 3,185 feet of elevation gain. Compare this to roughly 300 feet elevation gain during the Portland marathon. And that includes St. John's Bridge, which leaves half the runners in tears. I'm feeling tired just thinking about it.

Interestingly, the race is limited to 100 runners. I happen to be the 100th person to register. So, on the list of registrants, mine is the last name. I have no doubt that my name will occupy this same position on the list of finishers. I just hope I do, in fact, finish, and claim my rightful spot at the bottom of that list.

No comments:

Post a Comment