In a classic 'me' story of how things come about, I just finished making this plush cozy Pikachu doll for my dear son. Why? Well -
Several months ago my closet broke. The bar broke & the contents sort of exploded out and took over the room. As I sorted through these contents, in addition to maternity clothes (hello, ancient!) I found project after project that I had started sometime on the last 7 years and never finished. I'm a planner and a starter. Not a finisher.
I decided to finish these projects, still interesting or not, before starting any more. So, I ripped out one half knit baby sweater to make the same (now much older) child a hat. I ripped out another half-knit baby sweater and made a Teddy bear (well, there wasn't enough yarn, so I bought a 2nd color & gave her a 2-tone bear). Today, I pulled out my sewing machine to finish this shirt I cut out 6 years ago. Six.
The sewing project, what with pins, cutting on the lines, and using a motorized machine, fascinated my 5 year old. After discussing the mechanics of the machine, he decides he wants to do a sewing project.
He made a pattern, pinned and cut out fabric, helped me sew it, then turned it right-side-out & stuffed it. It was creepy. Voo-doo doll creepy. He was proud, but disappointed it didn't match what he had in his head. Perfectionist.
As he tries explaining it to me, I realize he is talking about this cartoon creature, Pikachu. We google it, find a pic to blow up & print out, and start on the 2nd attempt. Sometime around 10pm he fell asleep. Me? I stayed down here sewing eyes & rosy cheeks on this weird creature and making it a matching blanket.
The things you do for love.
The shirt? No closer to being finished than it was 6 years ago.
No comments:
Post a Comment